What are Veneers?
Porcelain veneers are strong, custom-formed, natural-looking covers that are bonded to the surface of teeth. They look just like perfectly healthy and natural teeth. Veneers are often used to repair chipped, decayed or stained teeth and to reshape teeth and close gaps. Veneers are sometimes used instead of crowns for patients looking for a simple cosmetic restoration. To prepare the tooth, a minimal amount of enamel is ground down to accommodate the veneer. This procedure is minimally invasive, even less so than a typical filling.
How does the process work?
Same day veneers use CAD/CAM (computer-aided design and computer-aided manufacturing) technologies, such as CEREC®, to design and produce dental veneers in just one office visit. These systems combine a small intraoral camera, 3-D imaging technology, specialized software, and an in-office milling machine. The precision of CAD/CAM technology streamlines the entire process, saving you time and money, while delivering incredibly natural-looking results. With this advanced technology, digital impressions are taken, eliminating the need for messy and uncomfortable tray and putty impressions. Once the images are captured, they are uploaded to a chairside computer. Using state-of-the-art software, the dentist will design each veneer to enhance the natural aesthetics of your smile, carefully selecting the appropriate shade and size. As you wait for the milling machine to fabricate your restorations, the dentist will prep your teeth, removing a small amount of enamel to ensure a realistic effect. Once the veneers are completed, they will be securely bonded in place.
Traditional Veneers vs. Same Day Veneers
Traditional veneers require at least two office visits and several weeks for fabrication at an off-site lab. Most patients will be provided with temporary veneers while they wait. In contrast, same day veneers offer:
- More Convenient Treatment: With same-day service, the treatment is streamlined, reducing the amount of office visits.
- Lower Treatment Cost: Same day restorations are often less expensive than traditional veneers. No temporary veneers are required and the entire treatment process is condensed, which can lower costs.
- Greater Control: Since the veneers are fabricated in-office, adjustments can be made immediately. The porcelain used to fabricate the veneers can also be precisely shade-matched against the patient’s smile.
During your initial consultation, Dr. Zeik will determine your candidacy by performing a complete examination. They will take the time to listen to your cosmetic goals and create a treatment plan intended to meet those expectations, while guiding you through the same day veneers process.
How to Care for Same Day Veneers
Maintaining good oral hygiene and visiting the dentist every six months will help extend the longevity of your veneers. Maintenance tips include:
- Avoid using your teeth to open packages
- Do not bite your nails or chew on ice or other hard objects
- Avoid smoking or using tobacco products
- You should also minimize your consumption of deeply colored foods and drinks, such as red wine, coffee, tea, and dark berries. Although porcelain is stain-resistant, these items can darken the underlying teeth and dental cement.
Instantly transform your smile
Same day veneers can offer lasting and beautiful results for 10 years or longer. It is important to choose a skilled and well-trained cosmetic dentist who can provide examples of past results. A consultation is necessary in order to learn more about your candidacy and whether same day veneers are right for you.
Call or email us to schedule your appointment today!